One trend that won’t be going away anytime soon is the prevalence of skinny jeans for women. While skinny jeans are by no means the only trendy option right now, they have a great look all their own that repeatedly steals the show at fashion venues. But many women aren’t sure how best to wear skinny jeans. Here are our complete dos and don’ts to help you look great:
• DO be brave in wearing them. Let’s start off by just confessing that most of us aren’t size-0 models… but we can still wear skinny jeans! Many women are daunted by skinny jeans (the name alone gives us heart palpitations) but the truth is skinny jeans for women are just a different cut of jean that works well with many body types. If you are a fuller figured, a pair of skinny jeans that fits you well can help taper down your profile. Balance it out with boots and a nice top with a bit of flow to it and you’ll have a winning look.
• DON’T go two sizes too small. Everything we said above? It applies only if the jeans fit. Skinny jeans are always snug in the legs but the waist should fit comfortably or else your body is fighting against the jeans’ silhouette, which will make them both uncomfortable and unflattering. Find a pair that fits great up top and you can trust those fitted legs to do their job.
• DO pair with blousy tops. Remember, a big part of fashion is contrast. Skinny down below doesn’t always pair well with skinny up top. In other words, if you want to wear a fitted top then leave your skinny jeans for another day—skinny jeans look best with an oversize tank top (summer), a chunky sweater (winter) or a blousy top (any time).
• DON’T overdo distress. This is really a rule for jeans in general. Ripping, graffiti, fringe and stitching can all add a rough, edgy look to an otherwise ordinary pair of jeans. But all of these things work best in moderation. Choose one method of distress, not all four, and go light.
• DO tuck into boots. You don’t have to cuff jeans to rock a great pair of boots. Take advantage of the tapered leg and just tuck your jeans into a great pair of tall boots.
• DO experiment with mixed looks. Jeans in general work in a wide variety of looks, whether blended with heels and a formal top or a simple tee and lots of jewelry. Don’t think of your skinny jeans as casual only—they bring a unique profile that can work well in a variety of high fashion looks.
Do you wear skinny jeans? What do you like about them?